Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Scarlet Letter

I've been seeing posts on Facebook lately reminding me that next week is "A" week.  Meaning I should replace my current profile picture with the symbol somebody chose to represent atheism, and particularly Atheism Awareness Week. 

I'm still trying to decide if I'll participate.  

On one hand, I do believe that it would be great if atheists were accepted and viewed as a valuable part of society.  If I had known atheists when I was in middle school, some of my religious crises might have been avoided.  I am proud of my secular lifestyle and my rational beliefs.  I also believe that many people don't realize how many atheists there really are out there, and I definitely don't think they realize that there are nice, friendly, normal girls who don't rant and rave all the time about religion who are strong atheists as well.  

On the other hand, Facebook is full of aunts, moms, acquaintances, and former pastors.  While I'm not ashamed of my atheism (it's publicly listed as my "religious views"), I still don't feel the need to be pushy or rub my personal beliefs in anyone's face.  I don't want to be offensive or misinterpreted.  

I am, however, sick of the bible verses people post on there daily.  I'm even more sick of the "you're love for God is awesome!" comments that their friends leave for them.  Yes, that grammar error is there on purpose.  

I have a feeling many of my Southern Facebook friends will have no idea what the A stands for.  Perhaps adultery?  It is a scarlet A, after all.  Maybe that was a poor choice, maybe it was chosen on purpose.  I'm not sure.  

I realize that I'm way over-thinking this, since we're talking about a Facebook profile picture that will be posted for a week.  But hey, I'd rather over-think something this irrelevant than many other things going on in my life right now, so humor me, and let me know your opinion! 







2 comments:

  1. I literally had no idea that was the symbol for Atheism! I live in Utah. Mormon capital of the world. I do not know any proclaimed Atheists, but I do know some Agnostics (is that supposed to be capitalized? Yes, I am showing my ignorance).

    Today has been an eye opening day about religion/lack of religion for me. I can't wait to read more of what you have to say and I am sorry that people tend to have negative stereotypes about your beliefs. I'd like to think that we can all peacefully coexist and be able to question ourselves without worrying that we'll go to hell. Nobody wants a dissenting voice! What if it means we were wrong all along??!

    I think it is awesome that you have enough self-respect and courage to not give into that pressure!

    - Lina, your Mormon follower friend

    Also, I promise to not PURPOSELY shove my religion in your face, so if it sounds like it - you are wrong. :)

    hellomynameislina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lina!

    I really appreciate hearing from an open-minded person whose values differ from mine. I've always believed that the world needs people who disagree to keep it moving forward!

    I don't think you are shoving your religion in my face-- your religion is an important part of who you are! I don't know a lot about Mormonism, but I imagine you are subject to a lot of negative stereotypes as well. I'm looking forward to reading your blog!

    I don't capitalize agnostic or atheist, because I don't consider either to be a true "religion," I rather consider them to be just a plain adjective-- like big or purple. There are atheists who capitalize the word because they want more recognition in society. I guess we non-believers tend to bend the rules a bit anyway :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! If you are a blogger, feel free to leave a link so we can be friends :)