Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Soundtrack of my Childhood

I decided to change it up and do a fun post, so here's the soundtrack of my childhood!  Hopefully this will bring me out of the funk I've been in lately...

I was 3 when Disney's The Little Mermaid came out, and it left a huge impression on me.  I absolutely loved that movie, and my mom got a cassette tape that was pretty much Sebastian's solo album.  It was awesome.  My mom played it in the minivan every morning on our way to school, and it was just about the happiest music ever. I still have a soft spot for reggae music to this day!


The other tape my mom had in the car was the soundtrack to Beaches.  I'm pretty sure the only track we listened to was Wind Beneath My Wings, but for some reason, I loved it.  I still think it's a sweet song...


Until I was about 7, we had a housekeeper who came maybe once a week and also watched me and my sister every once in a while.  Her name was Joanie, and she was great.  I loved going to her house and snapping green beans from her garden at her kitchen table.  She listened to country music while she cleaned, and of course I picked up some of her taste.  I had a country line dancing VHS, and I loved to put on my black jean skirt and my cowgirl boots and dance in the den.  My favorite song was, of course, Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus!  Don't you love the clothes in this video??


My dad also had a huge influence on my musical interests growing up.  He always listened to the oldies radio station in the car, and had a few BeeGees, Beach Boys, and 50s/60s compilation cassettes that we listened to.  Listening to the oldies turned me onto the Beatles, and I developed a strong passion for the Beatles by the time I was in 4th grade.  I had their posters on my wall and the first cds I ever bought were the Beatles' Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour.  As I started to develop into a more introverted, thinking person, I grew to really love the song The Fool on the Hill, and listened to it on repeat for hours.


Although I had my quiet, sad moments, I definitely knew how to follow a trend and fall for a craze, which is why when the following song came out around my 9th birthday, I immediately bought the cd and practiced the dance in my room for hours.  I was extremely embarrassed when my sister knocked on my door and told me my jumping was shaking the walls...


We soon move into my moody, angsty teenage years, which I will explore in another post.  Can't wait to share all the Marilyn Manson, NIN, and Radiohead with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! If you are a blogger, feel free to leave a link so we can be friends :)